Over the centuries, Alcudia’s privileged location has made it witness and host to many Mediterranean cultures.
The first archaeological remains (Son Simó, Son Siurana del Dalt, etc.) date back to the pre-Talayotic period, 2000 to 1200 BC.
After conquering the island in 123 BC, the Roman consul Metellus founded the city of Pollentia. It was constructed like a small Rome, with temples, public buildings, domus, urban villas and an amphitheatre. However, with the barbarian invasions in the 5th century AD, Pollentia began a process of decay and destruction.
In 902, the Arabs conquered Mallorca and gave Alcudia its current name (meaning “the hill”), as well as Guinyent, Biniatria, Gatamoix or Alcanada.
In 1229, the Catalan King Jaume I conquered Mallorca and later, in 1928, Jaume II declared Alcudia the capital of the parish limits. That same year began the construction of the first walls, which were completed in 1362.
During the popular revolt of the Germanies, the nobles of Mallorca took refuge in Alcudia. At the end of the revolt in 1523, the Emperor Carlos V declared it “Most Loyal City”.
The second ring of walls dates back to the 17th century. The aim was to reinforce the walls that already existed to defend the city. The two walls were preserved until the late 19th century, when a demolition process began due to the city’s expansion and sanitation.
The town of Alcudia and the archaeological remains of Pollentia were declared a historical and artistic site in 1963. In recent years, various plans to preserve and restore these areas have been launched.
Lose yourself in the town of Alcudia and travel back in its history!
Windsurf Beach Apartment is a stylish and modern apartment with 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, large balcony, sea-views perfectly locate...MORE INFORMATION
Relaxing by the pool, you can enjoy the splendid views across the open countryside towards the mountains. There is plenty of space...MORE INFORMATION
Incredible modern apartment located on the second floor in a building in front of the beach. Apartment Sivella II has an elegant ...MORE INFORMATION
Salve is a lovely, typically Pollensan villa, located just a short drive from the old Roman town of Pollensa itself and its just a...MORE INFORMATION