Cycling in Mallorca
Cycling holidays in Mallorca
Thanks to its climate, excellent cycling routes and diversity of cycling terrain more and more people are discovering that cycling is a great way to explore Mallorca.
In fact close to 55,000 cyclists per year – ranging from professional cyclists there to train to the leisure cyclist on holiday – are attracted to the island for a number of reasons:
- Climate. During the months of March to May and September to October the climate is mild and agreeable which is perfect for the sport of cycling and which contrasts with the central European climate where rain, snow and intense cold spells predominate at this time of the year.
- Road network. Mallorca has a 1,250 km road network of which 675 km are secondary roads with an average width of 6.5m. This excellent secondary road network offers varied itineraries with limited traffic - something which reflects positively on the safety of the cyclist.
- Orography and dimensions of the island. This is perhaps the main advantage as the island, due to its length, allows both short routes where you can visiting several villages (the average distance between villages is only 10-15 km) and longer routes (150-200 km) extending to any point of the Majorcan geography. There are totally flat routes with spirals and slopes and even high mountain areas such as the Serra de Tramuntana range.
Due to this growth in popularity more and more tourism establishments are adapting their services to accommodate the cyclist.
Why choose villa accommodation over a hotel?
- Complete flexibility – come and go as you please without the restrictions of restaurant times etc.
- Non-peak rental prices are easily comparable if not better to hotel prices especially considering car hire is also included in the price.
- Your villa is a home-from-home with full laundry and drying facilities for washing.
- And finally... after a day in the saddle what better way to relax and sooth those aching joints than to jump in your own private pool!
Don't just take our word for it - we sent the editor of Cycling World magazine out to Mallorca to test it out for himself. Read the article here.
Sealand Villas have teamed up with Pro Cycle Hire - Mallorca’s leading supplier of road and mountain bikes – to look after all your cycling needs while in Mallorca. From the shop in the heart of Puerto Pollensa they cater for a range of requirements and sizes. Run by English speaking staff and backed up by professional mechanics you can be assured your cycling experience will be both stress free and enjoyable.
By clicking on the banner below you can order your bikes and equipment online before you travel ensuring maximum cycling time when you arrive! You can even hire a cycle rack to fit your hire car for exploring further afield.